Cygnus and Alarec were drawn away by fate and duty, leaving Bossk alone to meet two other adventures also under siege in the keep: Niv Mizzet & Mare. A dragonborn fighter and elven ranger, they are a unique pair of old friends who have shared many adventures together.
- Alarec Day was asked by Governer Nighthill to help with defenses and Cygnus wandered off to eat rats or something, he wasn’t clear.
- Bossk was introduced to Niv & Mare who were in Greenest when the initial attack occurred. Nighthill praises them both as brave souls who risked everything for the town, bringing in a flock of schoolchildren (twenty-two children!!!) to safety. He refers to them almost as sons.
- From the top of the keep, Governer Nighthill shows our adventurers the nearby mill. They are asked to keep a group of six kobolds from setting it alight, as it would put their local food production back months. The group agrees and finds the kobolds less than a match. An interrogation of one kobold reveals they were sent not to burn the mill, but to draw out the adventurers. There are cultists and guards inside the mill ready to ambush any who enter it. The heroes leave without entering, letting the city guard take care of it (who arrives at the mill just a few minutes after they return to the keep).
- Upon returning to the keep the blue dragon, Lennithon, abandons his passive flybys and engages the archers at the top of the keep. Over 1/4 are lost to the dragon’s ice breath but he is eventually injured enough that continuing the attack is not worth his effort. He looks to the purple-clad leader of the dragon cult, turns away from her, and flies off into the night. Everyone inside the keep rejoices
- The high-priestess knowing Bossk from thier earlier encounters, pulls him aside and relays rumors that have been coming in about missing townspeople. They are thought to have barricaded themselves inside the local temple. There is no confirmation and she wishes only to ascertain if they are safe. She asks him to consider a reconnaissance mission to the temple and he accepts. Upon reaching the temple, Niv is able to draw a majority of the forces into a wild goose chase in the woods. Bossk and Mare attempt to encourage the townspeople to make a run for it but those inside the temple are distrustful. Only when the dragonborn returns and with a marvelous persuasion check, the doors are open and all 50 townspeople emerge. They are escorted back to the keep with no incidents.
Governor Knighthill and Castilian Escobar, his shield dwarf who is head of keep defense, are overjoyed when the remaining townsfolk enter the through the secret tunnel to the river. They believe they have the entire town safe when they hear a draconic command from outside.
- A blue half-dragon with four hostages demands that the keep send out their greatest fighter to face him. He promises to release all hostages regardless of how the confrontation ends, even if he is killed in battle. Through some clever negotiation, he allows two fighters to emerge as Mare takes up his place in the woods nearby, bow ready. The blue half-dragon quickly dispatches our adventurers but releases the hostages as promised. The priestesses run to aid our adventures and they wake up the next day wounded, but alive.
All players not at level 2 should level their characters.